WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app available across smartphone platforms. It allows group chats, the ability to deliver large data files such as photos, videos, short voice messages and location check-ins. Just like other data on your iPhone, WhatsApp chats are also important. These messages might contain valuable content or information from your family, friends, and workmates.
If you lost or accidentally deleted your WhatsApp conversations, don’t panic. Here are many ways for how to see deleted messages in WhatsApp in iPhone.
How to see deleted messages in WhatsApp in iPhone?
Recover Deleted Messages from WhatsApp iCloud Backup
WhatsApp allows iPhone users to make a backup of chats through iCloud. If you have backed up WhatsApp chats in iCloud or turned on auto backup prior to deleting or losing them, you can follow these steps to recover WhatsApp chat history from an iCloud backup:
- Navigate to WhatsApp “Settings” > “Chats” > “Chat Backup” to ensure that an iCloud backup exists. (Pay attention to the “Last Backup” time to guess whether the deleted chats are included in the backup or not.)
- Delete and reinstall the WhatsApp app by searching from the App Store on iPhone.
- After verifying your phone number, click on “Restore Chat History” and follow the on-screen prompts to get back your deleted WhatsApp messages.
Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages from iTunes Backup
If you have backed up your iPhone’s entire data using iTunes before, you may be able to retrieve your WhatsApp chats by restoring your iPhone from a previous iTunes backup. Follow these simple steps below to restore iPhone from iTunes backup to get your lost WhatsApp messages back:
- Launch iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone to it via USB cable. If you have a Mac running on macOS Catalina 10.15, launch Finder.
- Once iTunes or Fonder deleted your iPhone, locate the device icon and click on it, then choose “Restore Backup”.
- Now in the pop-up dialog, select the iTunes backup that contains your WhatsApp chats and click “Restore”.
Please note that restoring iPhone from iTunes backup will erase all the current data on the device.
Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages from iCloud Backup
Of course, if you have made an iCloud backup before deleting or losing the WhatsApp chat messages on your iPhone, you can also choose restore a full iCloud backup. Same with iTunes, however, this will overwrite and delete all existing files on the device. If you don’t mind losing new data, follow the steps below:
- On your iPhone, head to Settings > General > Reset and choose “Erase All Content and Settings” to erase all content on your iPhone.
- Follow the setup instructions and in the “Apps & Data” screen, select “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
- Sign in to your iCloud account and choose the backup file that contains your deleted WhatsApp chats to restore.